Dicey – Bar Design
Westfield Sydney, located underneath the iconic Sydney Tower on Pitt Street, Sydney, NSW.
Description of pre-design condition of interior/building:
The site was redeveloped between 2010 and 2012 to combine four shopping centres in the area: Westfield Centrepoint, Sydney Central Plaza, Skygarden and Imperial Arcade.
Client brief/client requirements:
- A new and unique bar/nightclub space.
- Must integrate brand values relating to health, sustainability, interactivity and culture.
Bondy’s bar in Sydney was a major inspiration for the aesthetic of this project.
Materiality + Scheduling:
Idea behind the design/special features/materiality:
- A socially inclusive, interactive, sustainable bar, designed as an homage to design and culture from the 1980s.
- Aesthetic of the space was heavily influenced by a previously existing nightspot in Sydney – Bondy’s.
- Inspiration for the space’s materiality was taken from commercial interiors of the 1980s – black and red leather, subway tiling, neon lights – all elements competing for attention.
- Brand values of the client were researched heavily and appropriate solutions were made available:
- Sufficient circulation, adjustable furniture, and a dipped bar area make access to the venue for people in wheelchairs or people with a disability much easier.
- Triple pane glass and window frames with exterior shading will assist in the conservation of energy, as well as the control of temperature within the space.
- Size adjustable tables are a main feature of the space, designed with inclusivity and interactivity in mind.
- A large variety of board games have been integrated into the space and the furniture, in the hope that binge drinking is discouraged, and interaction between friends is encouraged.
- The end product is a display of socially responsible design.
Software used: 3Ds Max, Revit, Photoshop.