L’Air de Panache – Branding and Product Design
Inspired by The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Design a product, complete with samples, style guide and advertising campaign, to promote the upcoming Wes Anderson film, The Grand Budapest Hotel.
- Incorporate the film’s distinct humour and characters in a memorable, customer focused way.
- L’Air de Panache is a unisex perfume that was brought to life in the 2014 Wes Anderson film The Grand Budapest Hotel.
- It has been produced and created for customers to purchase in real life as a way to promote the film.
- The perfume plays a pivotal role in the film for characters M. Gustave and Zero Moustafa – it has a very strong, pure musk scent, meaning it will linger in a room long after the wearer has left.
- Anderson uses distinct colour palettes in each of his films in order to create a striking contrast from that of the real world – for The Grand Budapest Hotel, we see lots of pastel pinks and blues, purple and red, which make all scenes memorable.
- Colour was the biggest driving force behind this project.
Packaging Colour Palette:
- The film tells a tale of courage and sacrifice, qualities found in anyone brave enough to wear this distinctive aroma.
- The product logo design was based on a feature element from the film – The Society of the Crossed Keys.
- The colour palette used for the branding of the L’Air de Panache consists of two primary colours and four secondary colours.
- Packaging resembles that of a pastry box from Mendl’s bakery, another key plot point from the film.
- Pre-purchase customer experience incorporates a billboard with an interactive QR (Quick Response) code, which directs customers to the product website.
- During their purchase experience, customers are greeted with a video message from M. Gustave who welcomes them to the Grand Budapest Hotel.
- Gustave then goes on to give customers a virtual guided tour of the Grand Budapest, which ends with a visit to the hotel gift shop where L’Air de Panache purchases can be made.
- Post-purchase, customers are encouraged to follow The Grand Budapest Hotel on all social media platforms, where they can take part in competitions and giveaways.
- This connection to the customer leaves a memorable impression of the brand and its personality, encourage repeat business, and help a small yet distinct branch of cinematic style to reach a wider audience through new networks.
Interactive Website Demonstration:
Software used: 3Ds Max, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop.